Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Rays of Sunshine

I feel like I've been in a pretty subdued mood lately and would like to take a break from that. I'll admit that this month has really put the NO in November, but it was nowhere near as bad as September was. So here are some happy things that have happened in my life recently.

--I discovered Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Okay, happy is definitely not the right word for Kite Runner. Nothing about it is happy. I simultaneously strongly recommend that you read it and urge caution that your emotional state can handle it. I was not emotionally prepared. Trying to be as spoiler-free as possible, bad things happen. This is a powerful, painful book. I shotgunned it in a free afternoon, but you can't simply set Kite Runner aside when you've turned the last page. Kite Runner follows you around and whispers in your ear that your first world problems are nothing; it refuses to be forgotten. I was numb to the world for the next twenty-four hours. My emotions were laid bare. So while there is no universe exists that would describe Kite Runner as happy, I am happy that book such as Kite Runner exist, even though I have to suffer emotional trauma at the hands of a paperback.

--Most of my classes are done until after Thanksgiving! Huzzah for being able to sleep in!

--My roommates and I have lived in our house for a year now without any major disasters or roommate drama. That's pretty legit. I love our house-- Amber, Mickie, and I have conversations that range from intellectual debate to ridiculously silly and everything in between. We're smart, we're funny, and gosh darn it people like us! 

--In Sims world I'm married to a scientist, pregnant, and a level 2 Ghosthunter. I also have adorable cats named Gilbert and Sullivan who randomly bring me money because they are awesome like that.

--I really enjoy my new job at Brookstone. My coworkers are all guys, so I'm automatically the prettiest girl in the store most of the time and I get a lot of entertainment during work. Also, I sometimes force them to give me dating advice. Heaven knows I need it.

--Catching Fire was one of the few movies that was just as good a movie as it was a book. I don't say that lightly. Also, Thor 2 was fabulous, way better than the first one. The only needless eye candy shot was of Thor standing around being hot and shirtless; it's refreshing to see a blockbuster that doesn't assume we're all guys who want to stare at girls' butts.

--Utah hasn't been drenched in snow yet! There have been flurries in the city, but nothing that's stuck around for more than a few hours. I'm crossing my fingers that we can actually make it all the way to December. That's never happened to me before, but I would be a very happy camper. 

Best for last:
--Today I found out that JAMES MARSTERS IS COMING TO SALT LAKE'S COMICCON NEXT YEAR. JAMES MARSTERS. SPIKE FROM BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER. AKA THE FICTIONAL CHARACTER THAT I FELL HARDER AND FASTER FOR THAN ANY OTHER FICTIONAL CHARACTER IN THE HISTORY OF MY LIFE AND THAT'S A REALLY BIG DEAL FOR ME. I already knew I wanted to go, but now it's been kicked up eight or twelve notches on the necessity scale. I MUST GO TO THERE. If he were in Salt Lake and I wasn't around to see him I would just die because of pain.

It's about time I started expressing gratitude what with Thanksgiving being just days away. c: 

No comments:

Post a Comment