Monday, November 18, 2013

Love Eternal

"Love is the whole and more than all." -E.E. Cummings

Lately I've been paying attention to the kind of fictional relationships that I'm drawn to. While I have an abundance of "ships" (that's relationships I think should happen, for those of you not acquainted with fangirl jargon), the ones that truly break my heart and make me have all these feelings and scream, "I WANT A LOVE LIKE THAT!" have a few things in common. The ships that I'm thinking of are Heathcliff and Cathy (Wuthering Heights), Snape and Lily (Harry Potter), and Spike and Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

The main thing here is eternal love. As much as Cathy, Lily, and Buffy said that they wanted nothing to do with the gentlemen, the gentlemen loved on. Their love was truly eternal. Heathcliff left the country and even married another woman, but he physically could not rip himself away from Cathy's deathbed. Snape retreated into bitterness, but protected the son of his archnemsis for years because he knew it was what Lily would ask him to do. Buffy rejected Spike time and time again, but he died for her. DIED. (Greater love hath no man than this....)

 I crave someone that won't move on from me. I want to believe that someone could fall so hard for me he could *never* move on. A fantasy, probably. I've said, "I'll never get over him," about seven or eight different guys. And I have gotten over all of them. Most of us are like that. It's an obsessive kind of love that never lets go. You would probably be right to call it unhealthy. But that unbreakable commitment-- it seems so necessary to me. That's what love is about. Not wanting anyone else, even when the object of your affection doesn't want you. 

No one's ever needed me like that. I know that in real life love is based off of the small things, not the crashing tempests, but I truly believe that there should be a foundation of *needing* to be with someone. I don't know, maybe that's naive. But these loves.....I can't even express how perfect they are.

"God himself could not have torn us apart." "I repeat one prayer. I repeat it until my tongue stiffens. Haunt me, Cathy Earnshaw." "Every thing in the world is an echo of her." -Wuthering Heights

"After all this time?" "Always." -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"Why does a man do what he mustn't? To be hers. To be the kind of man who would never-- to be a kind of man." "Last night I just held you, watched you sleep. And it was the best night of my life." -Buffy the Vampire Slayer

No comments:

Post a Comment