Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day

Today is Labor Day. I usually complain about how early in the school year Labor Day comes-- we barely get into a routine and then we have a break-- it would be more appreciated at the beginning of October. But this year it was perfect. This was my first real day off in a long time, as I work every weekend and have class during the week. But today I had no school, no work, no commitments to anyone. I needed it so much.

My roommates and I drove to Jordanelle State Park to go kayaking. It was great. We rented two kayaks, then proceeded to take the lake by storm. We sang Disney songs and Macklemore and Adele, we rammed our kayaks into each other, we went swimming and lay in the sun and talked and talked. I'm not the most outdoorsy person in the world, but I loved the physicality of paddling and swimming and getting in touch with a little bit of nature. Four stars, would highly recommend.

Sometimes I get really discouraged and don't even know if I want to keep on trying, but there are bright spots like today that make me remember life doesn't always completely suck. I'm not gonna lie-- the last month wasn't the best. In fact, a lot of things about it were very difficult for me. Starting school again at Salt Lake Community College has been different than expected. Not harder, just....different. I don't know how to explain it. I met a Very Cool Guy who seemed to think I was funny, things seemed to be going great, and then I randomly got the feeling that I'd never see him again. And I haven't-- Eternally Single mode reactivated. Money is tight and will be for the foreseeable future. Every audition I go to gets me a callback, but not cast. My emotions are so fragile that Despicable Me 2 made me cry.

But I forgot about my problems while I dangled my feet in the water and had the sun on my shoulders. It's only one day, but we all need that day. That's why we have holidays. Thank goodness. I need an excuse to celebrate when maybe there's not that much in my life worth celebrating. I need to believe in the light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment