Wednesday, May 16, 2018

An Open Letter to Meghan Markle


Dear Ms Markle,

You are getting married in just three days! That’s pretty awesome! I’m getting married in three days too. (We picked the date first.) Along with much of the United States, I’ve been obsessed with the royal family since William & Kate got married. Having a royal wedding AND a royal baby in one year is almost too much goodness to bear. (Have you met Prince Louis yet?) Sharing an anniversary with the second Royal Wedding is the best present I could ask for.

Are you nervous? Are you excited? Have you had awkward small talk with the Queen while the corgis sat on the couch looking judgmental?

Can I just say that I am dying to see your dress? Kate had a fairytale princess dress, but I have a feeling this one isn’t going to be the miles long train style. Kate is a perfect bride for William, just like he’s the ideal eldest son, heir to the throne. She’s classy, like you, but you’ve got the edge factor. I mean, your engagement photos had one with a sheer top and people wrote articles about its significance. What a world.

I fell in love with my dress the second time I put it on. I wanted to feel like a princess on my wedding day (my originality is truly shocking) but it turns out that basically any wedding dress made me feel like a princess so I had to give my favorites a second go around another day, and that’s when I knew. Your dress won’t be revealed until you walk down the aisle in it. Even the designer is a closely guarded secret. All I can wish for you is that when you put it on you don’t ever want to take it off, because that’s how I feel.

Meghan, are you okay with giving up your career as an actress? It must have been strange to end your most recent show, Suits, with a wedding for your character. It must be surreal to enter a world that your family will never be fully integrated into, especially with all the drama around them lately. Hopefully Kate takes you aside and gives you some pointers on making it was a come lately royal.

Rachel Zane's wedding dress. We can only speculate what Meghan's will be.
(I think this one is five stars and would have stolen it from set.)


Do you compare yourself to other brides? Kate’s wedding was the spectacle of the year, and yours is on track to be the same. There are countdowns on television to the big event (my coworkers tell me the countdowns are for me). People are going to compare the two weddings. And that’s tough. Because you and Kate are different women. I have to tell myself that when I see someone completely gorgeous and poised and who also made two hundred silk flowers by hand for wedding favors. We’re different women. Weddings aren’t a competition.

Do you ever catch your breath at your good fortune? I’ve never been one for gingers (although Justin does have some red in his beard), but does looking at Harry make you feel like the luckiest lady alive? You deserve that feeling. He seems completely smitten and anxious to start a family. (Honestly I’d hope that the kids take after you but again I’m not one for Weasleys.) You must be someone very special to get him straightened out and on his way to Windsor to take his vows. He had some wild years…. And he’s inviting his exes to the wedding… but girl after Saturday he is yours officially so grin and bear it!

I wonder if royal marriage is hard. I mean, I know regular marriage is going to be hard. But do all the public events make it more or less difficult? Does it bring you and Harry closer or farther apart? “Don’t forget to have date night” is a bit useless when it comes to giving advice to someone who is photographed every time she leaves the house (castle).

Anyway I’m nervous and excited and jittery and in love and it makes me feel better to know that there’s another woman out there who is prepping for this life changing ritual, on the world stage, at Windsor Palace with millions watching. I'll take my greenhouse with a gazebo. But come May 19th we’ll both be wives. Justin calls me a princess too. Good luck, and God Save the Queen.

Much love,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment