Thursday, January 29, 2015

Rebecca Blogs Fan X (Thursday)

Let me start by saying: BOY HOWDY I FREAKING LOVE FAN CONVENTIONS. This is my third one in twelve months, and they're just the best. c: 


I woke up early to be to work by seven so I could leave at three. I was a bundle of nervous energy on the way down. (I was really paranoid that my wristband wouldn’t work.) (Spoiler alert, it worked.) In the general admission line I stood next to a girl named Alicia with an animatronic Wheatley (check it out here) that lit up and moved and was awesome. She was friendly and we talked and I enjoyed it. After we heard, “I would murder Mark Wahlberg for his voice” I’m keeping a Comic Con quote book. The best, though, was us talking about how Comic Con is like General Conference for nerds. We block off traffic, there’s a huge congregation of people dressed different from everyone else, and we gather to listen to speakers. These are my people! When the volunteer came to our section of the line to let us into the Expo hall he said, “FOLLOW ME” like freaking Moses and we all surged forward. Alicia and I were checked in and went our separate ways. She was cool.



I walked right into the Mark Pellegrino panel. He played Jacob on Lost and Lucifer on Supernatural. He was funny and charming. (He says that is the worst direction a director can be. “Can you be more charming? And go.”) He does the craziest made up accents. He would marry Jensen and Jared (his Supernatural castmates). Quote: “If zombies were around I would be a zombie rights activist.” Talking about playing Lucifer before the fall he pointed out that he really only played a guy whose body was taken over by Lucifer. Imitating Lucifer: “That Nick is sooooo SMEXY. I’m being him forever!” When asked if the actors had any idea what was going to happen on Lost he said, “Jacob knew everything. He was the source of all the mythology.” *pause* “I knew nothing.” He was great.

I stayed in the ballrom for the next panel, which was Karen Gillan and let me just say girl crush acquired. She is gorgeous, she is hilarious, she has a Scottish accent, she is flawless. So funny! Three adorable kids asked her questions; one little girl said, “Did you cry when you cut off your hair?” and it was so cute. The other little girl asked which was her favorite monster on Doctor Who. Karen said the Silence and the Weeping Angels. Then Karen asked the little girl what hers were and she went, “…..same.” A little boy asked how long it took to put all the makeup on for Guardians of the Galaxy and when Karen said five hours his face was literally :o (Kids in costumes are my FAVORITE.) 



She was full of quotes. She saw the Mormon Tabernacle Choir last time she was here and was very impressed. “Good choirs here.” When somebody said she spoke Gaelic she immediately corrected the punctuation to “gallic” even though she doesn’t speak a word. (It’s funny because I just learned about there being two different languages from grandma and grandpa.) She can’t drive, and will wait for the self-driving car. Take that, Amber! She told a hilarious story about Matt Smith trying to impress a supermodel and ending up knocking over a fake lamppost. Karen strikes me as a very real person. When she got her last script for Doctor Who Arthur Darvill and Matt Smith were calling her to talk about it and she said she was like, “NOPE NOT HAPPENING.” Her and Matt Smith must be so tight. When somebody asked how it was to flirt with/kiss him in the beginning of their seasons she said it was like kissing your brother. “Incest is wrong.” On flirting with him: “Best acting I’ve ever done” and cracked up. Someone in the line to ask questions was dressed as a Weeping Angel and she said, “I really hope I’m not the only one who sees that.”

But the BEST part of Karen Gillan was definitely when she was asked to show off her dance moves. She said she didn’t want to dance alone and asked for a volunteer from the audience. Some dude dressed as Robin, with practically nonexistent shorts, dashed up and was so *sassy*. He danced and she did the running man and I was dying. Only at Comic Con.



As I was walking out of the Karen Gillan panel some guys in front of me were saying how Scottish is the most attractive accent. “Even the Scottish men are hot.” Truth. In line to get in I kept passing this RIDICULOUSLY ATTRACTIVE Han Solo cosplayer who had curly dark hair and basically I wanted him. But he was with his Princess Leia, so, lame. There are so many attractive dudes there! Some year I’ll get up the nerve to try the speed dating out, or wear a shirt that says Single and Geeky. It's only logical.




I got several compliments on my shirt, which features Ten and Rose kissing in front of the TARDIS. I ran into Jessica Eldredge with her cute little family. She saw me; I was entranced by a giant dinosaur walking around. (Have I mentioned that I freaking love Comic Con?) It’s crazy to run into people in such a crowd, and today was sure to be the least crowded of the days. Tomorrow is my hardcore one; I'll be there almost all day. Awww yeah. 




No comments:

Post a Comment