Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Chance

Most days end about how you thought they would. A few small deviations, an encounter with a friend, an odd conversation, or an unexpected mood change are about all you can really expect to vary. But every now again come the days that are Different. Big changes are in the air, changes that you set in motion with tiny choices, and now you are about to be startled with what life has in store for you. Something happens that you had not even considered a possibility twenty-four hours ago. Call it luck or chance or tender mercies or the element of surprise, but it is nice to be reminded that I am subject to twists I haven't foreseen. Otherwise my life would become frightfully dull. Unanticipated events are simultaneously stressful and exciting. I had no idea I would be asked to join the Utah Repertory Theatre's cast of Carousel, but last night I was. We'll see where this road leads. I'm so glad I get to finish off this summer with a show. It's joltingly pleasant to be confronted with personal plot devices that are completely out of the blue. It's good to have plans, but thank goodness for that "roll of the dice" factor.

"There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner." -G.K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment